Monday 25 April 2011

Arsene needs a new captain.

Right this is my first blog so bare with me. I'm going to give my opinion on what I think is wrong with this team.

Firstly what we lack in abundance is leadership. Now cesc is are captain and contrary to popular belief I think he is an excellent captain, but not for this team. I don't think all captains have to be shouters and screamers or have to resort to physical violence to get your point across to certain players. For example Tony Adams would have been done for attempted murder for what he would have done to eboue after the Liverpool game. But would that of Helped the helpless eboue? I think not.
Cesc Fabregas



But I do think you have to have someone like that in your team. Especially when Cesc is the kind of captain who would put an arm around the shoulder and say "don't worry eboue you'll get em next time". We desperately need someone to balance that and to tell eboue and almunia " if you do that again I will kick you so hard your head will go inside your backside and you will be turned inside out". We miss that. Plus what happens when Cesc backheels the ball at the edge of his own area in the nou camp? Who is going to tell him that that wasn't ok and you were stupid for doing that.

We had the perfect balance in Arsene's early years with the likes of Henry and Pires counteracted with Viera and Keown. I think those kind of personalities would be good for the dressing room and we would cut out those silly mistakes ie Manuel at west brom. Also if when we are drawing 0-0 at home to Blackburn someone has to go around to the players individually when there's a break in play and say "calm down and relax. Don't try and force it. Just play your football and the goal will come". When we have a goal kick you never see our midfielders talking to each other! It's always heads down and trotting to the halfway line. Which is so incredibly frustrating and disheartening.

One thing that struck me recently was Tony Adams saying "as captain I felt one of my responsibilities was to convey the managers ideas and tactics to the other players when I was on the field" read that statement look at our squad and that it sums it all up.

Tony Adams
Another thing I have come to realise on what we need is an ENGLISH centre half! I didn't think nationality was an issue especially when we signed Vermaelen. But then just when I thought Djourou reinforced this. Sunday at the reebok came along.

When you think about Arsene's centre back singings they haven't exactly been great. When he arrived he had Adams, Bould and Keown three top notch defenders drilled in the art of defending. All of them English. He's signed Cygan, Senderos, Squilachy among others. But the one he did buy, twice no less was Sol Campbell who was superb when he was at the Arsenal. Again English. Coiencedence I think not. I'll leave you with this from Patrick Vieira "when I signed for Arsenal along with some other French players we had all the technique and skill but we wouldn't of won anything without those English players who put there head in where it hurt"

Follow me on twitter @piersarsenal

Piers Moyles

1 comment:

  1. I like to change the captain this summer. To give Thomos Vermealen.

    ReplyDelete